Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Writer's Challenge #3 >> FEAR

One of my friends asked me to write about a word that truly shakes me at times. Enjoy.

As a child, my gaze remained on the floor
In hopes to not have contact with a world
In which I thought I should not have existed
As a child, I used to have conversations with myself
Cause no one else seemed to want to
Or even showed any amount of concern
As a child, instead of playing with friends
I found myself in the corner of the playground
Listening to the playful sounds of Life
Call me anti-social
Or socially awkward for that matter
Cause for the life of me
I selfishly took it upon myself
To erase any notion of myself
From the equation
I've never thought of myself to be great
Or had any strong or weak possibility to be such
I was stuck on the bottom
Only to catch a glimpse of a speckle that dawned upon me
The one or two times that I did look up
And when forced into a lead position
I found myself in a state of damnation
Cause here was little ole me
Forced to handle the responsibility
That would would result in people either liking me
Or condemning me with their insults and unpleasantries
My wife always says that I was never one to intimidate
Here I was bigger than most
Only to whisper in low tones
And gently maneuver my way out situations
My worst enemies were the intangible thoughts
Of invisible critics
Whispering their most destructive descriptions
To non-existent listeners
Except for little ole me, of course
I mean someone had to listen, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment